I have been looking on line at all the things I (cannot afford) would like to eventually buy, and thought would be helpful. So interpret this more as “Top 5 Thinks I think Would Help Students”.
1. Western Digital Passport External HDD, $150.00 for 500gb – I have had one for most of this year, and it is essential for saving back ups of data, video for class, power points, and it’s small enough to always carry in my backpack or laptop bag. They have smaller versions that cost less (250 for 99.99).
2. Bebook Digital Reader, $279.99 – Unlike the Kindle and Sony Reader, this reader allows you to read pdf files and view jpgs. Although I do not have one, it seems like it would be useful for reading those hundred of research articles that are always sent to us. I hear that the battery life lasts forever as well.
Website : http://mybebook.com/
3. Touchbook netbook pc, $399.99 – Can’t decide between a netbook and a tablet pc? Well you may not have to choose. The touchbook is not released yet but is set for a june/early summer release date. According to the website it has many claims and I hope it can satisfy them. Among it’s features,the screen can detach from the keyboard and becomes a touch screen tablet pc, it will turn on as fast as a cell phone (the arm processor is given credit for this), internal usb ports (to hide usb dongles), the battery will last from 10 to 15 hours, and it runs on open source. It must have been sent down by geek heaven.
4. Pulse Smart Pen 149.95 1gb 199.95 2gb
The Pulse smartpen records audio and links it to what you write. If you miss a date or equation or start doodling you can tap on your notes or drawings with the tip of your Pulse smartpen to hear what was said while you were writing. So it record the audio and links it to what you write. It also captures and digitized your notes! Neat! You also have to buy the speacial notebooks.
Website : http://www.livescribe.com/
5. Something fun to keep you Sane, $0 – $lots – This may be a music, a portable dvd, an ipod, a nintendo ds. Remember as students, graduate students, and professors we need to have something fun to lighten our mood every now and then.
Don’t forget the classic way of relaxing as well, go for a walk or jog, take a class for fun, visit your family and friends, make enought time for your partner and family. By the way, just in case you were wonderin gwhat the non-ipod mp3 player was, it’s a 25 dollar 2 gig mp3 player that shows videos, has a built in digital camara for pics and recording, and more. Try the following website out if you are in a budget but still would like to buy some geeky toys.