Yes, I know this is not education related, but hey it’s something fun to do during spring break… instead of going to the beach I’m stuck here preparing for a conference this coming saturday. Oh well. I found this simple guide that helps a lot. First you have to install the core program, then a frontend. A front end is something that helps you access the program from a graphic interface. Otherwise you would have to use the termina. I found this simple as can be guide. I simplified it down even more… it works great. The only problem is the screen size. I can’t get a true full screen. Let me know if you figure this out.
- Open a terminal ( applications< accessories< terminal) and type in the following:
- download this file http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gxmame/gxmame_0.35beta2-1_i386.deb
- open a terminal (or use the same one if you kept it open) and type in
assuming you downloaded the file to the desktop
- then type in
- It’s isntalled
Now let’s configure Mame
- Go to Option > Directories, and in “Gxmame Directories” set the path to “/usr/games/xmame.SDL“.
- Now lets add your roms folder. so add it on the “ROMs path” (you can add as many paths as you want). After that click on the tab that reads “xmame basic paths”we need to add a games folder.
- Nowgo to Option > Rebuild Game List
- Go to available.. if you have roms in your folder and it doesn’t show up, try closing and opening the program again. Otherwise try installign over.
Thanks to Daniel Adnrade for the original guide!